Friday, February 27, 2009

A Sad Goodbye....

Today is a sad day if you are from Colorado (at least if you've been here for awhile). A piece of our heritage has disappeared into the sunset today as one of our newspapers folded. What does that mean, you might be asking yourself? Why is that significant? I believe it is important not only to us as Coloradans, but it should be an important wake up call to everyone in the world. It marks a turning point in our future. It leaves me wondering about the future of our newspapers in our world. It is so easy to log on and get your news or watch the news on television, but the real objective news is only found in print. The in depth coverage of our daily lives, can only be found in the newspaper. It remains one of the tangible pieces of our history that is left in our very electronic world. If this trend continues for the newspaper industry, where does that leave us? If we sit by and watch newspapers become a part of our past, do we risk the ability to have objective news? Further than that, are we risking the ability to form an opinion based on facts? The Rocky Mountain News is one of many newspapers across our country threatened by extinction. Todays paper listed at least a dozen across the U.S. The Rocky Mountain News lost their fight today. A monument for nearly 150 years in Colorado is now gone. It breaks my heart a little. My grandfather worked for the News for nearly his entire life. Our family, our neighbors and our friends all read the News. Growing up it was a staple on our breakfast table. I continued that tradition in my own family. I am not sure why I was compelled to share this with all of you, but I thought it was important to pay tribute to this newspaper and the people who worked so hard for so long to make sure all of us had the news. To pay some respect to those who put their heart and soul into this paper. Thanks for reading, more stamping talk will be here tomorrow. If you would like to read more about the Rocky Mountain News or see the last issue, click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your post on the "Rocky". I sat and read the last issue and just wept, I will really miss it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones